Prepare for the IFMA SFP® (Sustainable Facility Professional™
Earn your SFP to gain insight into efficiency, data-driven decision-making and sustainable practices.
The IFMA SFP Credential Program offers a single source for learning about sustainable facility management, gaining an advantage over the competition, and earning the SFP credential. The program consists of electronic or printed reading materials, interactive online study tools and SFP final assessments.
Electronic/Printed Reading Materials
- Comprehensive series of three sustainability focus areas, defined by the results of the most recent IFMA global job task analysis:
- Strategy and Alignment for Sustainable Facility Management SFP Books and Box
- Managing Sustainable Facilities
- Operating Sustainable Facilities
- Topics presented in a concise, easy-to-understand format.
- Choose to receive the reading materials in downloadable electronic format only or in both printed and electronic formats. Printed materials utilize 100% post-consumer waste recycled paper and recycled packaging.
Interactive Online Study Tools
- Facility Management Introduction- an overview video of the FM industry.SFP Laptop Menu
- A pre-test for each focus area to assess initial knowledge and guide studies.
- Chapter-specific quizzes to measure comprehension and ability to apply concepts.
- Immediate feedback and correct-answer rationales on all quizzes.
- e-Flashcards and glossary for review of key terms and definitions.
- Resource Center for additional educational tools.
- Progress report to track activities and scores.
SFP Final Assessments
- An online SFP final assessment follows each focus area. (The final assessments for focus areas 1 and 2 include 50 questions each and have a time limit of 65 minutes. The assessment for focus area 3 includes 100 questions with a time limit of 130 minutes.)
- Assessments are included in the online study tools and can be completed when and where your schedule allows.
- Successfully complete all three final assessments with a passing score of 75% to qualify for the SFP credential.*
- SFP application and fee must be submitted to IFMA to earn the SFP credential.
*Please note: Candidates who fail an SFP final assessment may retake it immediately. There is no limit to the number of times you can retake the final assessment. After successful completion of each online SFP final assessment, it will have served its purpose and will no longer be available.
The self-study program includes electronic or printed reading materials (printed on 100% post-consumer waste recycled paper), interactive online study tools, and online SFP final assessments to give you the freedom to complete your SFP studies and earn the SFP credential at your convenience.
- Complete the program at your own pace.
- Study when and where your schedule allows.
- Develop an individualized study plan.
- Avoid travel expenses and time away from work.
Ready to Order?
The instructor-led courses combine the IFMA SFP Credential Program’s print and online components with the leadership of a qualified instructor. Courses are available through IFMA and its educational partners such as colleges and universities.
Instructor-led course benefits:
- Take advantage of company/employee tuition reimbursement programs with college/university courses.
- Learn from instructors and colleagues who have a variety of industry experiences to share.
- Avoid procrastination and stay on track with weekly assignments and classroom expectations.
- Discuss and clarify difficult topics in a live or virtual classroom forum.
If there are 5 or more training candidates within your organization, IFMA offers bulk rates and specialized group reporting tools. Contact IFMA at email@example.com or at +1-713-623-4362
Corporate/group training benefits:
- IFMA offers bulk rates on orders of 5 or more programs.
- Premier-quality, turn-key training tools are available to your staff within minutes of placing your order.
- Self-study and instructor-led training options provide customized, consistent training to your local or global team. IFMA can even help you find a certified instructor for on-site or online training.
- Online tracking tools allow you to monitor your staff's performance, identify strengths and weaknesses, and ensure you are generating a high return on your investment.
The SFP program is made up of three focus areas: Strategy and Alignment for Sustainable Facility Management, Managing Sustainable Facilities, and Operating Sustainable Facilities. Taken together, these focus areas provide a complete picture of how SFPs can improve the sustainability of their facilities in all eight major categories of sustainable facility management as defined by IFMA: energy, water, materials and resources, workplace management, indoor environmental quality, quality of services, waste and site impact. This series of focus areas will equip the SFP to integrate sustainability efforts with the organization’s values and strategies, present a business case for a sustainability initiative, evaluate initiatives from a financial point of view, and track and report accomplishments.
- Focus area 1: Strategy and Alignment for Sustainable Facility Management: This section summarizes key concepts related to sustainable facility management from the organizational level and illustrates linkages and actions facility managers must take into consideration in order to make the business case for sustainability in their own facilities. View table of contents.
- Focus area 2: Managing Sustainable Facilities: This section looks in depth at the process of aligning a facility‘s sustainability plan with an organization‘s vision, strategic goals and policies. It takes the same strategies promoted in an SFP’s business case for sustainability within the organization, and provides the details behind the plans to prepare for, lead and implement those changes. View table of contents.
- Focus area 3: Operating Sustainable Facilities: This section looks at ways in which SFPs can operate their facilities in a more sustainable manner through changes in building equipment and technology as well as changes in operations and maintenance procedures. Focus area 3 is organized around the eight major categories of sustainable facility management— energy, water, materials and resources, workplace management, indoor environmental quality, quality of services, waste and site impact—from inputs, through facility processes, to outputs. View table of contents.
To earn the SFP, you must pass the online SFP final assessment found at the end of each focus area, with a score of 75% or higher. After passing all three final assessments, simply submit your SFP application and fee to IFMA for validation.