Certified Facility Manager®
Earn the most respected credential in facility management.
The Certified Facility Manager® (CFM) credential sets the industry standard for ensuring the knowledge and competence of practicing facility managers.
IFMA’s certification process is designed to assess competency in the field through work experience, education and the ability to pass a comprehensive exam that covers 11 competencies that make up the facility management body of knowledge. Since the program began in 1992, more than 3,100 facility managers from 32 countries have achieved this prestigious recognition.
Want to know more about IFMA's CFM® credential? Watch a webinar to learn more
Ready to Submit Your Application?
“Establishing my position as a well-rounded, competent facility management professional is of the utmost importance to my organization. The CFM designation has absolutely increased my credibility with my management team, FM staff and my customer base.”
- Scott S. Tibbo, CFM, Director, Real Estate Advisory Services, Expense Management Solutions Inc., Southborough, Mass.
"I received a significant promotion following the successful completion of the CFM examination. I believe that passing the CFM Exam was instrumental in helping me achieve this promotion. Certification has brought me increased recognition by both senior management and my peers. It’s the best thing I've done for my career in a long time. Taking the exam online was great, especially knowing instantly that I had passed it."
- Patricia A. Holden, CFM, Associate Director, Facilities Management, Quintiles, Inc., San Diego, Calif.
Value of the CFM credential
"You have a great job. Your employer is rock solid. Your last performance rating was excellent and the future looks bright. One day, you go to work and your job no longer exists. It happens easier and faster than you can imagine.
When you enter a tight job market, what will distinguish you from the crowd? Employers look for leaders and demonstrated skill in an area of practice. Your CFM shows you have the interest and skill in facility management to be the best. It shows you have the tenacity to keep those skills sharp year after year.
What better example of leadership than to choose to be the best and advertise it.
When I entered the job market after years with the same job, I was very concerned about my marketability. How could I be sure my skills would translate to a new place and were they even still valid in the current market? By becoming a CFM and maintaining the designation, I was forced to update my skills yearly to keep the designation. Without realizing it, I was preparing for the day when a job change became essential.
Where would I be now if I had been forced to find a new job and had not stayed current in my profession? How could I answer a prospective employer’s questions about my education in facility management? What could I offer to separate me from the pack? A CFM is more important than you think!"
Contributed by - Christine H. Neldon, CFM, IFMA Fellow, Regional Project Manager for Travelers
Benefits of CFM
Why should I become a CFM?
- New Benefit!: Digital Badge for safe online recognition and instant verification.**
- The average five-year return on investment of IFMA credentials is 15:1 for credential holders*
- On average, IFMA credentials lead to a US$6,000 salary increase within the first year*
- Internationally recognized and industry-trusted for almost 25 years, the CFM represents quality and competence with over 2,600 CFMs worldwide.
- The CFM isn’t one-size-fits-all; it shows that you’re an experienced FM with demonstrated industry expertise.
- Once certified, the renewal process will prove that you maintain your edge in FM proficiency.
Why should employers support the CFM?
- Assure quality and professional standards
- Focus and map professional development of staff
- Increase marketability of your organization and offerings
- Contribute to competitive advantage
*According to the IFMA sponsored research report, “Evaluating the Value: International Facility Management Association (IFMA) Facility Management Credentials”.
** Learn more about IFMA’s digital badges at http://www.ifma.org/professional-development/digital-credential-badges
IFMA is proud to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of the Certified Facility Manager® credential. The CFM has been helping accomplished FMs distinguish their careers, demonstrate their leadership and highlight their professionalism for 25 years.